Check out the details below…
It has been confirmed that a new Special Edition release for Power of the Daleks will be available from 6th July 2020.
This release builds upon the original 2016 edition with new animation and special features to enhance the experience.
The extras for this release are listed below:
- Two new documentaries about Power of the Daleks
- 1993 BBC audio version of The Power of the Daleks narrated by Tom Baker
- Raw incidental music
- Photogrammetry Featurette
- Whicker’s World – I Don’t Like My Monsters to Have Oedipus Complexes
- Daleks – The Early Years: A 1992 documentary presented by Peter Davison
- Robin Hood – 1953 Episode: Patrick Troughton’s earliest surviving TV appearance
- BBC archive footage from BBC regional news, BBC Breakfast, Blue Peter and Newsnight
- Previously unreleased animation trailers and animatics
- Easter Eggs
- Audio commentaries by Anneke Wills on each episode
- Animation test footage
- Photo Gallery, including previously unreleased and rediscovered full-colour on-set photos from 1966.
- Servants & Masters – The Making of The Power of the Daleks
Some of these extras carry over from the previous release whilst others are all-new, like two documentaries and special footage of Troughton’s earliest surviving television appearance. These make for a comprehensive package-at least until the missing episodes are ever found!
Power of the Daleks is the third story from Season 4 and was Patrick Troughton’s first appearance as The Second Doctor, following his regeneration from previous Doctor William Hartnell, and is sadly, currently missing from the BBC Archives.
However, thanks to off-air fan recordings, surviving clips, telesnaps and now animation, it can once again be viewed and appreciated for its tense story of manipulative Daleks and a worthy debut performance from Troughton.
The release is available to pre-order on Blu Ray and DVD now.
By HW Reynolds
Images provided by BBC