Another Season on the Way!
It has finally been revealed that the next Doctor Who Season to receive the Blu Ray Collection treatment will be 8, Jon Pertwee’s second season. Season 8 introduces The Master (Roger Delgado), who faces off against the Doctor, his new assistant Jo Grant (Katy Manning) in all five stories featured in the boxset.
This season is also notable for mostly being earthbound, with The Doctor unable to travel in time and space with the exception of a mission for the Time Lords in “Colony in Space”. A trailer for the set can be found below:
The description for the set states the following: “Stranded on 20th Century Earth, the Third Doctor teams up with UNIT and new companion Jo Grant to thwart alien invasions! And that’s not all, he must also contend with the arrival of his deadliest foe – arch nemesis the Master.
Battling Autons, Axons, an alien mind parasite and a mighty Daemon, the Doctor, Jo and UNIT must defend the Earth – and its future pioneers – in five action-packed adventures.”
Much like the boxsets that came before this set is filled with extra content, old and new. Some of these extras include:
- Behind the Sofa – New episodes with Katy Manning, Stewart Bevan, Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton, Sacha Dhawan and Anjli Mohindra.
- In Conversation – Matthew Sweet chats to companion Katy Manning.
- A Devils Weekend – Actors Katy Manning and John Levene take a personal trip back to the picturesque village of Aldbourne, 50 years after they recorded the Doctor Who story The Daemons there.
- The Direct Route – Doctor Who directors Michael Briant, Graeme Harper and Tim Combe take an epic road trip to all the filming locations from Season 8 as they discuss directing the show in the early 1970s.
- Terrance and Me – Lifelong Doctor Who fan, Frank Skinner sets out to meet the family, friends and colleagues of the late, much-loved writer, Terrance Dicks.
- Blu-Ray trailer – A specially shot mini-episode.
- Extended Episode 1 of The Claws of Axos.
- 90 minute omnibus edition of The Daemons.
- An Immersive 5.1 surround sound on Terror of the Autons and The Daemons
- Optional updated special effects and CSO clean-up on Terror of the Autons
- Unseen studio footage Rare archive treats Convention footage HD photo galleries Scripts, costume designs, rare BBC production files And lots more!
- This substantial list of extras will accompany the original bonus content found on the DVD releases.
With eight discs within the set, this is shaping up to be another superb addition to The Collection lineup! Season 8 will be released on Blu Ray next year on 23rd February! Stay tuned for more information on The Collection range and a review for the set when it releases.
By HW Reynolds
Images provided by BBC