The first Black and White Doctor Who boxset!
Doctor Who The Collection Season 2 has been confirmed as the next release in The Collection range! This marks the earliest season of Doctor Who to be released and is First Doctor William Hartnell’s second season in the role.
The announcement is accompanied by a brilliant trailer written by Pete McTighe, who has written for the new series and also works on the insightful booklets included in these releases. This can be watched below:
Season 2 ran from 31st October 1964 to 24th July 1965, and comprised of nine stories spread across 37 episodes. These stories are as follows:
- Planet of Giants
- The Dalek Invasion of Earth
- The Rescue
- The Romans
- The Web Planet
- The Crusade
- The Space Museum
- The Chase
- The Time Meddler
Doctor Who The Collection Season 2 is with special features new and old including:
- Three brand new documentaries: Including an overview of Season 2, FLIGHT THROUGH ETERNITY, a look at 1960s collectables in DOCTOR WHO AND THE COLLECTORS, and a deep dive into the life and career of story editor David Whitaker in LOOKING FOR DAVID.
- IN CONVERSATION: Two exclusive insightful feature-length interviews, with William Russell and Maureen O’Brien.
- BEHIND THE SOFA: New episodes with companions Maureen O’Brien, Peter Purves, Carole Ann Ford, Janet Fielding (Tegan) Wendy Padbury (Zoe), Sarah Sutton (Nyssa), Bonnie Langford (Mel) and Sophie Aldred (Ace).
- Exclusive Audio Commentary: Learn about the recovery of THE LION, a missing episode that was returned in 1999, with three of the heroes responsible for its return.
- Convention Footage: A rare chance to hear from actors Jacqueline Hill and Adrienne Hill (Katarina) alongside Michael Craze (Ben) and Carole Ann Ford.
- Exclusive Enhanced Soundtrack: Watch THE DALEK INVASION OF EARTH with an optional enhanced soundtrack.
- HD Photo Galleries: Including many previously unseen images.
- Info Text: Behind-the-scenes information and trivia on every episode.
- Scripts, Costume Designs, Rare BBC Production Files and other rarities from the PDF Archive
- Existing special features from the DVD releases including documentaries, commentaries, new special effects and more.
It’s wonderful to finally see the 60s represented in The Collection, and the selection of new special features, combined with the extensive restoration should make for an essential purchase for Who fans, new and established.
Stay tuned for an in-depth review and unboxing when the set releases, which as of the publishing of this article is TBC, though the website which leaked its announcement stated a mid-March release.
By HW Reynolds
Images provided by BBC
I’m hope either Season 21 and Season 11 which are The Third and Fifth Doctor’s final seasons for the next blu ray collection
LikeLiked by 1 person