The end of an era…
It has been revealed that the next Doctor Who Season to receive the Blu Ray treatment will be 26, the end of the classic era and seventh Doctor Sylvester McCoy’s final season.
A trailer for the set can be found below:
The description for the set states the following,
“Season 26 features four epic adventures traversing a future Britain invaded by inter-dimensional knights, a strange Victorian house haunted by ghosts from Ace’s past, an alien world populated by Cheetah People and a 1940s army camp under siege from monstrous vampires.
With guest stars including Nicholas Courtney (Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart), Anthony Ainley (The Master), Jean Marsh, Nicholas Parsons, Anne Reid, Ian Hogg, Sylvia Syms and comedy duo Hale & Pace, this fondly-remembered set of stories saw the end of an era for Doctor Who, and set the stage for its hugely successful revival.”
Much like the boxsets that came before this set looks to be filled with extra content, old and new. Some of these extras include:
Rare Restored Extended Cuts
• The Curse Of Fenric VHS Extended Version
• The Curse Of Fenric DVD Special Edition
• Battlefield VHS Extended Version
• Battlefield DVD Special Edition
5.1 surround sound & isolated scores
• On all 14 broadcast episodes, plus 5.1 sound on all extended versions of The Curse Of Fenric and Battlefield.
Behind the Sofa
• New episodes with Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, plus companions Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton, Anneke Wills and Jodie-Whittaker-era writers Pete McTighe & Joy Wilkinson.
Showman – the Life of John Nathan-Turner
• A feature-length look at the life and career of Doctor Who’s longest-serving producer, who fought to keep the programme on-air during the 1980s. Contributors include Peter Davison and Colin Baker.
Making ‘The Curse of Fenric’
• A brand new documentary featuring Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, Tomek Bork, Nicholas Parsons, Cory Pulman, Marek Anton, Ian Briggs, Andrew Cartmel, Mark Ayres and Ian Collins featuring unseen behind-the-scenes footage and photographs.
• Matthew Sweet chats to companion Sophie Aldred.
The Writers’ Room
• Ben Aaronovitch, Marc Platt, Ian Briggs, Rona Munro and Andrew Cartmel discuss their work on Season 26.
Becoming The Destroyer
• Actor Marek Anton and prosthetics designer Stephen Mansfield recalls the creation of one of Doctor Who’s best-ever monsters.
• Sophie Aldred back in character as Ace.
The description also lists the following extras;
Brand new Ghost Light extended workprint,
Unseen studio footage,
Rare archive treats,
HD photo galleries,
Scripts, costume designs, rare BBC production files,
and other gems from our PDF archive,
And lots more!
Amazon currently has a release date listed for 23rd December meaning that if there aren’t any delays that the set will be out in time for Christmas! This set has been long rumoured so it’s interesting to finally see it materialise.
Stay tuned for updates in the coming future and in the meanwhile Season 23 is now due 7th October and a review of the set will be provided here on Reverbium!
By HW Reynolds
Images provided by BBC